Typical interview questions
Here is a list of questions that are popular at the moment. This is not, and cannot be a definitive list of questions. Some employers like to ask odd questions to throw you off your game to see how you handle the situation (you can read some of these here >).
- Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
- Why do you want to work for us?
- What do you know about this company?
- What motivates you at work, and at home?
- Tell us something that isn’t on your CV?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- How would a friend describe you?
- How would your worst enemy describe you?
- How do you respond to criticism?
- Give an example of when you have coped with a difficult situation or major crisis?
- How do you respond to pressure and/or stress?
- What is your greatest achievement to date, both in and out of work?
- What are your work and personal goals?
- What do you expect to be doing in five years time?
- Why should we hire you?
- What do you think we need to do to improve our products or services?
- What do you think you bring to the team?
- Why do you think you’ll be successful in the company?
- Would you consider yourself a nice person?
- How do you work with other people?
- Would you rather be liked or respected?
- What are you passionate about?
- Do you have any questions at all?
About your previous job(s)…
- Why do you want to change jobs?
- Why are you leaving?
- Why were you fired/laid-off?
- Why did you quit/resign?
- What have you been doing since your last job?
- What were your responsibilities?
- Explain gaps in working history.
- What are your salary expectations?
- Why would you take a job for less money?
About qualifications and experience…
- What experience do you have in this role/sector?
- Are you qualified for this role and why?
- Are you overqualified for this job?
- Sell me this pen.
- Which part of this role will be most and least challenging?
- Do you regret not going to university/college/6th form (or A-Levels)?
About job performance…
- What do people criticise you about most?
- What is the biggest criticism you have ever received?
- What makes you angry?
- How do you motivate yourself and a team?
- Why weren’t you promoted at your last company?
About the future…
- What is important to you moving forward?
- What is your professional development plan?
- How do you plan to achieve your goals?
- What will you do if you don’t get this position?
- Where else are you interviewing?